Anusol Plus HC Ointment is used to reduce the symptoms of internal and external piles (haemorrhoids). Anusol Plus HC Ointment contains the following ingredients:
- Hydrocortisone acetate is a mild steroid which helps reduce inflammation.
- Zinc oxide and Bismuth salts are mildly astringent and antiseptic and soothe and protect raw areas.
- Balsam Peru is mildly antiseptic and has a protective action on sore areas and may help healing.
- Benzyl benzoate has mild antiseptic properties.
Anusol Plus HC Ointment helps relieve the pain, swelling, itch and irritation of internal and external piles (haemorrhoids) and other related conditions, such as anal itching. This product is for use by adults over the age of 18 years.
What are piles?
Piles (haemorrhoids) are swollen blood vessels which occur inside or outside the back passage (anus).
Some people have piles without experiencing any symptoms, but sufferers may notice the following:
- Bleeding: Although streaks of bright red blood on the toilet paper are not uncommon in people with piles, it may be sign of a more serious condition and you should see your doctor to check this.
- Swelling: The swollen blood vessels may be felt as a lump or blockage in the anus.
- Pain, itching and irritation in the anal region. At least 40% of people suffer from piles at some time in their lives. However, many people are too embarrassed to seek advice or treatment and, as a result, suffer unnecessary discomfort. Fortunately, there is much you can do to ease the situation and relieve the symptoms.
What causes piles?
A number of factors can contribute to the development of piles:
- The most common cause is straining during bowel movement, usually as a result of constipation.
- During pregnancy, the growing baby exerts increased pressure on the anal vessels, which can lead to piles.
- Heredity: You may be more likely to develop piles if your family has a history of suffering.
Healthy Tips for Piles Sufferers
You can reduce the risk of piles by following a healthy diet and lifestyle that helps to keep your bowels working regularly and prevents constipation. This can also help to speed recovery from piles.
- Eat a high fibre diet including foods like brown rice, wholemeal bread, whole wheat pasta etc.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables and salads.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Don’t eat too much salty, fatty or sugary foods such as crisps, burgers and cakes.
- Cut back on the amount of alcohol, tea and coffee you drink.
- Exercise regularly.
A healthy diet and lifestyle will reduce the likelihood of constipation and encourage a regular bowel habit. Go to the toilet regularly and try to avoid straining. Leaning forward from the hips may help.
For external and internal piles, Ointment can be used. If internal haemorrhoids are the problem, Suppositories deliver a measured dose to the affected area.